This has been one of the major control weaknesses in sage 50 and ultimately sage have decided to Fix it with lot of relief for control oriented.
There are host of other useful features, improvements and changes are expected with Sage Line 50 2012 release (Now called sage 50). Although Sage haven’t changed the underlying file system they have made changes to how Sage caches data and tried to improve the locking mechanisms so that some operations will no longer lock out all the other users.
- Improvements in Cache and Locking mechanism
- Initial speed tests show no overall difference (possibly a bit slower) on straight speed but the record locking and caching may make day-to-day operations less prone to other users being locked out and support higher levels of concurrency.
- The cosmetic screen appearance has been updated to make it more contemporary and various processes modified to give the user more feedback that Sage is actually doing something (rather than having them reboot the machine because nothing is apparently happening and thus corrupting data)
- The Help -> About screen now provides far more diagnostic information and they also seem to have sneaked in a remote control option for Sage Support technicians.
- Internally there are changes to the way the SDK works in some areas so developers will need to make code changes in various areas including Net Value Discounts (which was absurdly difficult to do previously), Customer Discounts and Invoice Auto Numbering.
- The Transaction Post has also been updated to perform more checks on the data such as making sure the specified nominal code is correct for the type of transaction (not a Bank Account if posting an SI for example).
- Installation has been streamlined and made more straightforward for network configuration.
- There are various UI enhancements including new Quick Search Options and a Quick Print button.
- Data checking has been speeded up and offers more selective repair options than the previous blanket “Fix” button.
- The existing SData Service will be available to developers in Beta format. Essentially it is a web interface which sits on top of the SDO to enable low volume web based interrogation and update of Sage data. (You would for example only perform an action on a single account rather than a bulk process)